Eating Smart * Being Active
Eating Smart*Being Active offers research-based information about nutrition, physical activity, food safety and making the most of your food dollars. It is a FREE program provided by University of Missouri Extension Family Nutrition Education Programs. Interactive lessons focus on simple messages related to food, nutrition and tips for feeding your family. Lessons include free food tastings and items that reinforce lesson topics. A certificate of completion will also be awarded at the end of the program.
- Lesson I (7/7/15): Get Moving and feeding babies and young children.
• Families enjoy being active.
- Lesson 2 (7/14/15): Plan, Shop, $ave
• Families plan and shop for meals and snacks that are healthy and fit in their budget.
- Lesson 3 (7/21/15): Fruits and Veggies – Half Your Plate
• Families increase the amount of vegetables and fruits they eat every day.
• Families have more than one kind of vegetable and one kind of fruit every day.
- Lesson 4 (7/28/15): Make Half Your Grains Whole
• Families choose at least half of their grains as whole grains.
- Lesson 5 (8/4/15): Build Strong Bones
• Families get enough calcium from low-fat or nonfat dairy foods or other foods high in calcium.
- Lesson 6 (8/11/15): Go Lean with Protein
• Families have lean protein foods and keep all
food safe to eat.
- Lesson 7 (8/18/15): Make a Change
Families limit foods high in fat, sugar and salt.
- Lesson 8 (8/25/15): Celebrate! Eat Smart & Be Active
• Participants discuss feeding children and celebrate new knowledge and skills to make healthy food and activity choices.
Supplemental lessons are available for pregnancy and feeding babies and young children.
Classes are coming soon to:
Location: DCC Room (first room down the stairs in basement at north end of building) 2018 Gentry St, Kansas City, MO 64116
Dates: July 7, 14, 21 28, August 4, 11, 18, 25
Time: 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
For registration or more information, contact:
Pastor Carla (816) 842-2341 OR
Ruby G. Gomez (913) 558-7695
Funded in part by USDA SNAP.
For more information, call MU Extension’s Show Me Nutrition line at 1-888-515-0016.
Running out of money for food? Contact your local food stamp office or go online to http://dss.mo.gov/fsd/fstamp/
Flyer: Eating Smart Being Active